Wednesday, April 25, 2007

strawberry mousse (taste and tell)

Strawberry Mousse

1 pkg unflavored gelatin
1/4 c cold water
1 pint strawberries, hulled and sliced
1/4 c granulated sugar
lemon zest
1 c cream
3 T powdered sugar


Strawberry Daiquiri Sauce

1/2 pint strawberries, hulled and sliced

2 T granulated sugar
2 t cornstarch
1 1/2 T light rum

lemon zest

1. Sprinkle gelatin over cold water in a saucepan, let sit for 1 minute to soften. Stir over low heat until gelatin is dissolved. Remove
2. Put berries, sugar, lemon zest and gelatin in a food processor or blender and puree. Pour into a bowl, and place in the refrigerator for about an hour.
3. Beat the cream and powdered sugar until soft peaks form. Put 1/4 cream into berry mixture and stir. Fold in remaining cream. Chill for 2 hours.

For the sauce

1. Combine berries, lemon zest and sugar in a food processor or blender and puree. Put in a saucepan, adding cornstarch and rum. Whisk cornstarch to remove any lumps.
2. Cook on medium heat, stirring often, until mixture thickens.
3. Remove from heat and place in refrigerator until ready to serve.

I LOVED this. It felt really light and refreshing (even though I know how much cream was in it!!) I loved the addition of the lemon zest to give it just a touch of that lemony flavor. I have been cooking with alcohol quite a bit lately, and although I don't drink it, I loved the daiquiri spin on the sauce. I had some extra cream left, so I made some extra whipped cream to serve on top, and it was wonderful. I also served it with a bit of fresh lemon zest on top, and aside from looking really yummy, it tasted very yummy!!

No comments: